GIN (Generalized Inverted Index)
GIN (Generalized Inverted Index) is an index type which supports more complex data types than the usual key/value relationships supported by e.g. btree indexes. Common applications for
GIN include indexing array values and full text search.
GIN index support was introduced in PostgreSQL 8.2.
- PostgreSQL 8.4
- support for partial-match searches added (commit e6dbcb72)
- index operator lossiness determination pushed down to
GINopclass functions (commit 9b5c8d45)
- search tree depth limit for
GINbulk-insert operations added (commit e5efda44)
- "fastupdate" support added (commit ff301d6e)
- multi-column support added (commit 27cb66fd)
- PostgreSQL 8.2
- added (commit 8a3631f8)